Saturday, January 20, 2007

Ice Storm

As you all know we had an ice storm here Friday January 12th. Our power went out at 9:02 P.M and came back on at 10:30 P.M. YEA! or so we thought. I went to bed but my Mother and Daughter were still awake at midnight when the power went back out. I think everyone I know that lives in St. Charles had a power outage. Well Saturday comes and goes with still no power. On Saturday it was really pretty scary out. I will never forget the sound a tree makes when it cracks and falls to the ground with ice on it.
We went to my Uncle Ricky's house to drop off a battery operated lantern for my little cousin and I could see this big tree branch leaning in the road. I told my mom to make sure she pulled the car up in case the tree limb falls. While I was in the house I said "That tree looks like it could fall any minute." Well, that was the wrong thing to say because BAM! There goes the tree. It scared me to death. I am so glad my mom pulled the car up a ways.
Anyways, Saturday night in the middle of the night 2 tree branches on our tree fell. It is not near as bad as it could've been considering how huge the tree is. And other people had it way worse with there trees too. But here is a few pic's anyway of our tree mess.

































As you can see a branch fell and was leaning on our power lines that lead from the house to the pole. We were really afraid that the power line wouldn't be able to hold the weight of the tree branch. As the days went by the power line kept drooping more. Luckily U.E finally came and took care of it on Wednesday.


Anyways, back to my story.


The house was getting kind of cold by now. Sunday morning no power again. It is 53 degrees in the house. Pretty cold to me. My Aunt Carol's power is back on so my daughter Michelle goes to her house to stay. I went with my mom out to he fiance's house to take a shower. Everything is electric in our house so no hot showers :(


My mom and I decided to stay home Sunday night since we had to work on Monday. It was just much easier to do so. Plus I would have had to come home anyway in the morning to take the dog out. It was pretty cold, but we had lots of blankets so it wasn't horrible.


So Monday still no power. Michelle again stays at my Aunts and mom and I decided to stay home again. It was a little colder in the house but my other Aunt and Uncle and there 3 kids decided stay at my Aunt Carols too. My mom and I decided that 9 people would just be too many to stay together.


So Tuesday morning comes and HOLY CRAP it was cold. Now 44 degrees in the house. I almost went to work in my P.J 's because I didn't want to have to put cold clothes on. And yes they were cold. It felt like I stuck them in the fridge. BRRRR.......


We decided we had enough and that 44 degrees was just too cold to stay at the house another night. But guess what? The power came on while I was at work on Tuesday at 2:00 P.M. I was soooo happy. Not only had I been cold for 4 days or so, but talk about bored! I couldn't even read very well by lantern light. Gave me a head ache.


So that is My story. Hopefully this doesn't happen again.
Here are some pic's of my Aunt Carol's tree that split.


1 comment:

Jen said...

YUCK!!! I wouldn't have made it that long......